Rocks & Minerals Crossword Puzzle
Rocks & Minerals list
1. _____ is the sensation detected by our eyes as a result of the way objects reflect or emit light.
3. _____ contain carbon and oxygen.
7. _____ contain sulfur and another element that is not oxygen.
11. _____ gravity describes the density of a mineral compared to the density of water.
12. _____, or extrusive, igneous rocks are formed when magma reaches Earth's surface as lava.
15. _____ contain oxygen and hydrogen.
17. _____ refers to the character of light reflected by a mineral, and can be either metallic or non-metallic.
19. _____ rock is formed at Earth's surface by accumulation and sedimentation.
21. A mineral's _____ can be determined using a magnet.
24. _____ rocks are formed from the cooling of magma or lava.
26. _____ metamorphism occurs when sediments are buried deep under the ground.
27. _____ contain fluorine or chlorine.
28. A _____ is a naturally occurring solid aggregate of one or more minerals.
29. _____ contain sulfur and oxygen.
30. _____ refers to the way minerals break where they aren't weak.
1. _____ refers to the planes along which minerals break.
2. _____ refers to how resistant minerals are to breaking.
4. _____, or intrusive, igneous rocks are formed when magma cools or crystalizes within Earth's crust.
5. _____ metamorphism occurs when both heat and pressure are involved, usually in mountain building regions.
6. Before being deposited, sediments are formed by weathering and _____ .
8. _____ refers to the ability of light to pass through the mineral.
9. _____ is resistance to scratching or abrasion.
10. _____ elements include iron, gold, silver, and copper.
11. _____ refers to the color of the mineral when it is scratched or powdered.
13. An intrusion of magma that heats the surrounding rock causes _____ metamorphism.
14. _____ contain phosphorus and oxygen.
16. _____ is the emission of light by a substance when subjected to ultraviolet light.
18. _____ contain silicon and oxygen.
20. _____ rocks are formed by subjecting rocks to different temperatures or pressures from when they were formed.
22. A _____ occurs naturally, is stable at room temperature, is represented by a single chemical formula, is abiogenic, and has ordered atoms.
23. _____ habit refers to the geometric shape of parts of a mineral.
25. _____ include water, nitrous oxide, sand, quartz, and rust.